Position: Research Software Engineer for Advanced Image Annotation Tools for Surgical Data Science
Abteilung: Medical Image Computing
Das Deutsche Krebsforschungszentrum ist das größte biomedizinische Forschungszentrum Deutschlands. Mit über 3.000 Beschäftigten betreiben wir ein umfangreiches wissenschaftliches Programm auf dem Gebiet der Krebsforschung.
The National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) in Heidelberg is advancing the field of surgical oncology in its program “Surgical Oncology” by establishing the field of surgical data science and developing a lighthouse clinical studies program, which jointly allow to validate new data science concepts and to feedback new insights into the research process. One aim of the program is to establish the largest surgical data science database worldwide, combining data sources of different domains and providing high quality annotations to push the possibilities of data science in this area.
One important data domain is image data, reaching from classical diagnostic imaging like CT, MRI or ultrasound over bioscopy video feeds to novel techniques like multi spectral or photo acoustic imaging. To gain most of these images we are constantly improving and advancing our tooling for image annotation. This is done in a cooperation between the Division of Computer Assisted Medical Intervention (CAMI; https://www.dkfz.de/en/cami/index.php; https://twitter.com/DKFZ_CAMI_lab) and the Division of Medical Image Computing (MIC; https://www.dkfz.de/en/mic/index.php; https://twitter.com/mic_dkfz) at the German Cancer Research Center which are pioneering research in machine learning and information processing, with the particular aim of improving cancer patient care.
Working in the highly dynamic and exciting area between AI, medical research, cloud technologies and state-of-the-art software development, we are seeking for a motivated computer scientist or software engineer to join our team for a full-time position in order to advance our image annotation pipeline and software tools (i.a. Medical Image Interaction Toolkit (MITK) www.mitk.org).
You will be part of an interdisciplinary and vibrant research team that is developing a diverse range of state-of-the-art methodology and software components in the areas of surgical and medical image data science. In this project you have the possibility to dive into image computing and software engineering as well as to work with machine learning and cloud technologies.
- Join the design and software development of MITK, especially in the field of image segmentation/annotation
- Develop annotation tools – ranging from semiautomatic, intelligent segmentation tools to the integration of fully automated solutions
- Bring the developments into our cloud platform for large-scale application
- Research assisted and automated image annotation techniques
- Publications and presentation of the project results
- Plan and coordinate tasks as well as support the project reporting
- Master's degree in informatics or a related scientific discipline (e.g. computer science, mathematics, physics or statistics)
- Strong analytical and software development skills
- Experience with programming/scripting languages (especially C++ and Python)
- Experience with (medical) image segmentation is beneficial
- Experience with machine learning and associated software stacks is beneficial
- Experience with image computing, in high-performance computing environments and cloud technologies is beneficial
- Reliability, attention to detail, communication skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary international team will be expected
Interested and qualified applicants should at least submit a cover letter with references and a curriculum vitae.
- Interessanten, vielseitigen Arbeitsplatz
- Internationales, attraktives Arbeitsumfeld
- Campus mit modernster State-of-the-art-Infrastruktur
- Vergütung nach TV-L mit den üblichen Sozialleistungen
- Möglichkeiten zur Teilzeitarbeit
- Flexible Arbeitszeiten
- Sehr gute Fort- und Weiterbildungsmöglichkeiten
Beginn: as soon as possible
Befristung: Die Stelle ist zunächst auf 2 Jahre befristet. Eine Verlängerung ist möglich.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Herr Dr. Ralf Floca
Telefon +49 (0)6221/42-2560
Bitte beachten Sie, dass Bewerbungen per E-Mail nicht angenommen werden können.