Position: Machine Learner
Department: Medical Informatics for Translational Oncology
Code number: 2019-0172
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
With an increasing amount of cancer patients receiving genomic tests, a new challenge arises: interpreting the results based on state-of-the-art knowledge and deriving tailored therapy decisions. Life sciences have the task of incorporating the new genomic information with everything known about the course of a disease and producing results that a physician can directly apply in patient care.
Our group is seeking new talents, who enjoy building sophisticated data models applicable in a real-world clinical setting. You will join an interdisciplinary team which already has an established process for data gathering, preparation and analysis as well as the creation and improvement of analytic systems for physicians and scientists. In cooperation with medical domain experts you will apply your skills to generate insights on retrospective data, and you will be able to write publications on the findings as well as the methods used to derive them. You are not required to bring previous knowledge in the medical domain, we welcome people from all backgrounds, who have the passion and skills to work with us.
- You design and implement machine learning models that use genomic data to help find novel ways of diagnosing and treating oncological diseases
- You work together with domain specialists in doing data-driven analysis that answers research questions from the life science area
- You develop novel scientific methods, models and concepts for software solutions in the oncological and medical domain
- You work together with our software developers in extracting data and preparing it for analysis and to tailor specific tools
- You communicate closely with stakeholders and participate in clarifying and documenting their requirements
- You design new solutions for specialized user-centered analytic tools and visualizations
- You keep abreast of novel developments in the scientific and regulatory areas applicable to your work
- You participate actively in writing scientific publications for conferences and journals
- A university degree in a relevant field (computer science, medicine, or any discipline with a strong focus on data analysis and/or IT), or professional experience in machine learning and data analysis
- Solid understanding of machine learning methods (e.g. neuronal networks, predictive models, classification models)
- Confident use of data analysis languages and tools (preferably TensorFlow for deep learning, R or Python for classic analysis)
- Domain knowledge in medicine or biology is an advantage, but not required
- Confidence in communicating both within the team and with external stakeholders and research partners
- Working proficiency in German and English
- Scientific work on current challenges in medical informatics
- Excellent opportunities for professional development and further qualification
- Top-notch technical equipment and flexible work hours
- Close work with scientists and developers in a SCRUM team
- Flat hierarchies and short decision paths
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 01.06.2019
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-5112
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.