Position: Postdoc in Bioinformatics
Department: Signaling and Functional Genomics
Code number: 2022-0160
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
A postdoctoral position for a computational biologist / bioinformatician is available in the group of Prof. Dr. Michael Boutros (Division of Signaling and Functional Genomics) at the German Cancer Research Center as part of a project to develop integrative methods and resources for high-throughput screening and sequencing. In our research group, we systematically analyze oncogenic pathways using a combination of genomic and functional genomic approaches. We develop and apply computational methods for functional screens in cells and organoids that require cutting-edge bioinformatics approaches for experimental design, data analysis and integration of genomic data sets. Previously, we have developed several software tools for the design of large-scale functional genomic experiments (E-CRISP for the design of CRISPR/Cas experiments; Heigwer et al, Nature Methods 2014) and integrative databases (GenomeCRISPR, GenomeRNAi). The position will contribute to a project to further extend functional screening approaches to patient-derived cancer organoids.
Your tasks will include the following:
- Development and extension of internal and external databases for high-throughput screening experiments
- Conception of analysis workflows
- Analysis and visualization of results
- Collaboration with internal and international partners
- Development and support of web services
- Academic degree (Master and Ph.D.) with a background in computer science, bioinformatics, molecular biology, physics or related field
- Experience in object-oriented software development and building web-based applications
- Very good knowledge of at least one scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python) and with Bash scripting
- Good knowledge in relational and document-oriented database design (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB)
- Good knowledge in the development of modern web applications (e.g. Express.js, AngularJS)
- Knowledge of Bioconductor/R and Docker containers is of advantage
- Good analytical and (bio)statistical skills
- Basic understanding of procedures in high-throughput screening and sequencing
- Experience with Linux systems
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- An excellent written and oral command of English is essential
The application shall include a CV, a letter of motivation, degree certificates and names and contact information of at least two references.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles as well as against COVID-19 may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest possible start date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 31.05.2022
Prof. Dr. Michael Boutros
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-1950
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.