Position: Student Research Assistant "Multi-omics Data Integration in R" (max. 83 h/month)
Department: DKTK Partnerstandort Frankfurt/Mainz - Bioinformatics in Oncology / Machine Learning in Oncology
Code number: 2022-0193
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
Together with selected university partner sites, the DKFZ has established the German Cancer Consortium (Deutsches Konsortium für Translationale Krebsforschung, DKTK). The alliance between the DKFZ as the core center and the university partner sites in Berlin, Dresden, Essen/Düsseldorf, Frankfurt/Mainz, Freiburg, Heidelberg, Munich and Tübingen establishes joint translation centers at the University Medical Centers of each of the selected partner site.
The mission of the DKTK group "Bioinformatics in Oncology / Machine Learning in Oncology" (Prof. Florian Buettner) is the application and collaboration driven development of interpretable and statistically sound machine learning methods for understanding disease heterogeneity. As part of the DKTK/DKFZ and hosted by Frankfurt University we thrive to use machine learning for accelerating progress in personalised oncology.
We build on probabilistic machine learning to address computational challenges in three areas: translational single-cell genomics, computational proteomics and the integration of multi-omics data.
We are looking for a motivated student with excellent skills in R to join a collaborative project for developing an open source software to support the analysis of multi-omics data. Our recently developed Bayesian approach for modelling multi-view data by integrating domain expertise (MuVI) is currently only supported in Python. The goal of the project is to further develop the MuVI framework and extend its functionality into an R package. You will work closely with other team members and participate regularly in group dicussions. The work schedule is very flexible. Note that this position may also be fully remote.
- Writing clean, maintainable and well-documented code
- Developing a reticulate interface to facilitate interoperability between Python and R
- Developing an R package according to the Bioconductor principles and guidelines
- Participating actively in group meetings
- Currently enrolled in a German university and studying informatics, bioinformatics, mathematics, physics or related
- Valid certificate of enrollment
- Experienced in R and have a basic understanding of developing packages in R
- Basic knowledge in Python (preferred)
- Proficient in written and spoken German and English
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Access to international research networks
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles as well as against COVID-19 may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 6 months. An extension is possible.
Application Deadline: 13.07.2022
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-1653
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.