Position: Group Leader in Bioinformatics
Department: KiTZ Heidelberg and the Division of Pediatric Neurooncology at DKFZ
Code number: 2022-0212
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
We are looking for a group leader in bioinformatics to head a multi-disciplinary research group of 8-10 members at KiTZ (https://www.kitz-heidelberg.de/) and the Division of Pediatric Neurooncology at DKFZ (https://www.dkfz.de/en/paediatrische-neuroonkologie/index.php).
- Lead and execute integrative research projects aimed at identification and validation of disease mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities, which will enable the development of mechanism-of-action-based therapiesfor pediatric cancer
- Oversee the development of computational approaches and efficient workflows to gain insights from large, complex and multi-dimensional datasets (bulk and single-cell multi-omics and integration of clinical data) with the aim of utilizing these for diagnostic applications
- Lead the bioinformatics team of the KiTZ international pediatric precision oncology program INFORM (https://www.kitz-heidelberg.de/inform)
What to expect in the position as goup leader:
- A welcoming and supportive international group of highly collaborative colleagues that will help you achieve your scientific and career goals
- Access to large clinical and cancer omics datasets and sample collections as well as an outstanding environment for paediatric oncology research
- Access to a state-of-the-art computing cluster for data processing and downstream analysis
- Access to the Omics IT and Data Management Core Facility (ODCF), that provides high-throughput computing, data management and basic bioinformatics services
- Strong focus on pediatric cancer biology, translational research and precision medicine
- Interdisciplinary projects connecting biology with medicine and discovery with translation
- Close interactions with physicians and clinical researchers
- Candidates need to have a PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science or a related area as well as significant postdoctoral research experience and a strong publication record
- Expertise in genomics and bioinformatics, specifically in the computational analysis and interpretation of high-dimensional next-generation sequencing (NGS) data from cancer genomes
- Deep understanding of data analysis for high-throughput biological assays, including single-cell approaches
- Expertise in high-performance computing plus contemporary bioinformatics and computational research approaches, methods and software
- Proficiency in relevant programming / scripting languages (e.g. Python, R)
- Able to manage and coordinate research projects at the interface of genomics, precision oncology and bioinformatics
- Able and interested in leading and managing a translational research group
- Independent and self-reliant way of working, characterised by a high degree of initiative and sense of responsibility
- Able to collaborate externally and internally and work within a team to achieve shared goals
- Both support and independently initiate the acquisition of third-party funding
- Verbal and written English language fluency
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles as well as against COVID-19 may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 09.07.2022
Prof. Dr. Stefan Pfister
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-4618
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.