Position: Research Technician
Department: Microbiome and Cancer
Code number: 2022-0425
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
We are looking for a qualified and motivated research technician to support in vivo, ex vivo, and in vitro experiments on several projects focused on the role of the microbiome in cancer development and progression. The candidate will be responsible for taking daily care of research animals following standard operating procedures and according to animal welfare regulations. Additionally, the candidate will apply a variety of laboratory techniques in S2 areas in accordance with biosafety regulations.
Tasks / responsibilities will include:
- Daily monitoring of animal health and data recording (such as animal weight, behavior, vital signs, tumor growth)
- Performing basic procedures on animals (including weighing, oral gavaging, injections, dissection)
- Collecting, handling/processing and storing of biological samples (e.g. mouse feces, blood, tissue) according to standard protocols
- Operating sensitive equipment to analyze samples or substances, conducting tests and reporting results
- Recording and analyzing data
The ideal candidate will have previous experience of working with in vivo animal models, and will be passionate for doing work that makes things move forward. After a thorough training by our scientific staff members, the candidate should be able to implement a variety of laboratory techniques using standard protocols. These include DNA/RNA isolation and purification, protein extraction, genotyping using PCR, sample preparation for down-stream analyses (FACS, histology) and in vitro culturing of microbes or cell lines.
- Education/training as lab technician or technical assistant or comparable, e.g. an undergraduate (BSc) degree in laboratory sciences, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology, or a related field from an accredited university or technical school
- FELASA Function A certificate (former FELASA B certificate)
- Proven working experience with animal models
- Hands-on working experience with cell-culture (maintaining cell lines, establishing primary cell cultures) and/or molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA isolation, PCR) would be an advantage
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Reliability and flexibility
- Structured, independent, and careful way of working
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (English)
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles as well as against COVID-19 may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 07.12.2022
Phone + 49 (0)6221/42-4944
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.