Position: Computational Scientist
Department: Regulatory Genomics and Cancer Evolution
Code number: 2023-0011
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
A bioinformatician post is available in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. Duncan Odom (Division of Regulatory Genomics and Cancer Evolution) at the DKFZ's research program in Functional and Structural Genomics. We are seeking to hire a computational biologist for our team, supporting the laboratory's bioinformatics infrastructure at the DKFZ. You will carry out a range of leadership, organisational, and research activities in our dynamic research group, and closely interact with collaborating bioinformatics groups in Heidelberg.
We are looking for a well-trained and highly motivated candidate who is excited to join a laboratory studying fundamental questions in organismal and cancer evolution. This position requires high computational competence, software developing skills, expertise, and enthusiasm. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to create and implement a data management platform using existing open-source software and/or develop its own bespoke solutions. In addition, the candiate will oversee an existing service infrastructure that provides assistance for the team's data management procedures. The position provides ample freedom for professional development, supporting a dynamic team of researchers using pioneering methods in single-cell, spatial, and functional genomics.
For more information on the Odom laboratory research, please see:
- Master's degree in computational biology, bioinformatics, or related field; PhD advantageous but not required
- Strong knowledge of bioinformatics and computational biology is absolutely imperative
- Excellent knowledge of a Python web development framework such as Django or Flask with good expertise in database development is essential
- Several years hands-on experience working with DevOps technologies (ideally GitLab CI and/or Github Actions), containerization (Docker), version-control (Git) and administering Linux servers
- Ability to keep records up to date and write standard operating procedures is essential
- Fluency in R is highly advantageous
- Experience or enthusiasm to analyse highly complex biological sequencing or imaging data and proficiency in workflow languages (Snakemake or Nextflow) is desirable
- Prior experience with next-generation sequencing data, spatial transcriptomics, and/or proteomics would be desirable
- Excellent communication skills in English are required; fluency in German would be highly desirable
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 08.02.2023
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-4522
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.