Position: (Senior) Bioinformatician / Data Scientist
Department: HI-TRON Mainz - mRNA Cancer Immunotherapy
Code number: 2023-0154
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The Helmholtz Institute HI-TRON is a collaboration of the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) with the Research Institute for Translational Oncology at the University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (TRON gGmbH), the University Medical Center Mainz and the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. The goal of the partnership is to develop effective immunotherapies and to identify novel biomarkers for assessing the effectiveness of treatment.
We are looking for an experienced bioinformatician / data scientist to lead data analysis, integration and management in the field of mRNA cancer immunotherapies. The position will serve to support a translational research group at HI-TRON Mainz led by Prof. Dr. Uğur Şahin, who is member of the HI-TRON Mainz Scientific Management Board. Candidates with relevant experience will have the opportunity to work in close collaboration with scientists and clinicians across partner institutions and gain experience in mentoring graduate students.
The focus of the position is to run and refine multi-omics analyses, data management and data visualization workflows:
- Design and implementation of an integrated data platform based on existing solutions
- Development of omics-data workflows for biomarker discovery
- Support and consult researchers with planning of data production and data analysis
- Degree (BA, MSc) in bioinformatics, informatics or a related field (PhD is an advantage)
- 3+ years of working experience in computational biology, bioinformatics or similar
- Strong programming skills (e.g. Python, R, ...)
- Solid experience with UNIX-like systems and machine learning; cloud computing knowledge is a plus
- Experience in the analysis of NGS data
- Experience working with version control systems (e.g. GitHub, GitLab) is a plus
- Familiarity with developing and maintaining workflow tools (Snakemake, Nextflow) is a plus
- Excellent English communication skills
- High degree of flexibility, initiative and perseverance
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 13.06.2023
Dr. Alexandra Alves Duarte
Phone +49 (0)6131/17-9768
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.