Position: Scientific Staff Member / Postdoc
Department: NCT/UCC Dresden
Code number: 2023-0316
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) is a long-term cooperation between the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), excellent partners in university medicine and other research institutions at six locations in Germany. The goal of the NCT is to bring promising results from cancer research into clinical application quickly and safely. This approach is intended to provide cancer patients with nationwide access to innovative treatment options.
One of the six NCT sites is the NCT Dresden (NCT/UCC), which is a collaboration between the DKFZ, the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden (UCC), the Carl Gustav Carus Medical Faculty of the TU Dresden and the Helmholtz Center Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR).
For the NCT site in Dresden, the German Cancer Research Center is seeking a postdoctoral student to perform research activities within the MR-integrated linear accelerator. The position is located in the premises of the Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
In June 2022, an MR-integrated linear accelerator (MR-LINAC) started clinical operation. It has since been used to irradiate patients with a moving tumor with a daily-adapted, preferably hypofractionated technique.
The goal of this postdoc position is to, as part of a multidisciplinary team, scientifically investigate the workflow of this daily-adapted radiotherapy of moving tumors, to create an automated workflow and to implement it into clinical routine.
- Planning and coordination of the scientific work, taking into account the published academic literature; if necessary, short-term work shadowing in other (inter)national departments of radiotherapy and radiation oncology
- Formulation of scientific hypotheses
- Recalculation of the applied dose between the individual radiation sessions and at the end of the course of treatment, both on the acquired MRIs and generated synthetic CTs
- Continuous analysis of the workflow while conducting irradiation on the MR-LINAC
- Establishment of an automated workflow for specific indications on the MR-LINAC
- Implementation of the automated workflow on the MR-LINAC, taking into account the applicable legal requirements
- Evaluation and readjustment of the automated workflow on the MR-LINAC
- Interpretation of the results, verification of the established hypotheses
- Documentation and publication of research results in internationally renowned journals
- Analysis and documentation of experimental data as well as compiling presentations (e.g. graphics, slides, posters)
- Presentation of the research results during scientific lectures and congresses
- Independent acquisition of third-party funds as well as participation in project proposals and funding applications for cooperative projects
- Supervision of Bachelor/Master students and PhD students (Dr. med., Dr. rer. medic., PhD)
- Completed scientific academic studies in the field of medical physics
- Completed doctorate degree
- Solid basic knowledge in applying advanced image analysis techniques
- Solid knowledge in the field of radiation treatment planning (IMRT, 4D radiation techniques) and verification
- Very good command of English, both written and spoken
- Experience in collaboration with experts from other professional groups in radiation oncology (physicians, MTRA, medical physics experts, IT)
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- Excellent framework conditions: state-of-the-art equipment and opportunity for international networking at the highest level
- Remuneration according to TV-L incl. occupational pension plan for the public service and capital-forming payments
- 30 days of vacation per year
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility of mobile work and part-time work
- Family-friendly working environment, including parent-child room, counseling services, e.g. on Elder Care
- Sustainable travel to work: subsidized Germany job ticket
- Develop your full potential: access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program and DKFZ Career Service with targeted offers for your personal development to further develop your talents
- Our Corporate Health Management Program offers a holistic approach to your well-being
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest possible start date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 3 years.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 07.10.2023
Phone +49 351/458-13372
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.