Position: Data Steward for Metadata in Life Sciences
Department: Medical Image Computing
Code number: 2023-0329
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The DKFZ is member of the Helmholtz Association, Germany's largest research organization, which develops solutions and technologies for the world of tomorrow.
Modern technological methods such as artificial intelligence and machine learning enable data-based medical research. In translational medicine, this allows more precise individual treatments than ever before. Without the necessary context information (metadata), however, much research data cannot be found, interpreted, or reused.
The Helmholtz Association has recognized metadata as essential for high-quality research data and promotes the development and establishment of new concepts and technologies through the Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration (HMC). HMC aims to enrich complex and heterogeneous research data in the various phases of their creation with metadata to maintain and improve their value for research. Six hubs represent the different research areas of the institutes within the Helmholtz Association. Hub Health determines and represents the needs and interests of the health domain and ensures that the specific needs of this specialist discipline are taken into account within HMC.
The Hub and your position are anchored in the Division of Medical Image Computing (https://www.dkfz.de/en/mic/index.php; https://twitter.com/mic_dkfz ) at DKFZ, which pioneers research in machine learning and information processing, with the particular aim of improving cancer patient care by systematic image data analytics.
- You support and advise life sciences researchers in metadata management and in the implementation of FAIR principles.
- You advise on and contribute to domain-specific vocabularies, ontologies, and metadata schemes.
- You work on standards, guidelines, and tools for metadata management.
- You coordinate with national and international consortia and platforms.
- You help build a community within the research domain "Health in the Helmholtz Association".
- You prepare position papers and publications.
- You help with the implementation of the FAIR principles in HMC projects and use cases.
- Excellent framework conditions: state-of-the-art equipment and opportunities for international networking at the highest level
- Remuneration according to TV-L incl. occupational pension plan and capital-forming payments
- 30 days of vacation per year
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility of mobile work and part-time work
- Family-friendly working environment, e.g. parent-child room, advisory services caring for elderly relatives
- Sustainable travel to work: subsidized Germany job ticket
- Unleash your full potential: targeted offers for your personal development to further develop your talents
- Our Corporate Health Management Program offers a holistic approach to your well-being
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 13.10.2023
Dr. Marco Nolden
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-2325
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.