Position: Research Data Architect for a Multi Center AI Moonshot Project
Department: Medical Image Computing
Code number: 2023-0330
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The DKFZ is member of the Helmholtz Association, Germany's largest research organization, which develops solutions and technologies for the world of tomorrow.
Technological developments in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning have greatly advanced the potential of data-based research. Without the necessary context information (metadata), however, much research data cannot be found, interpreted, or reused.
The Helmholtz Association has recognized metadata as essential for high-quality research data and promotes the development and establishment of new concepts and technologies through the Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration (HMC). With the current shift towards 'foundation models’, a paradigm of training models on a large amount of data and subsequently adapting them for different applications, metadata is more important than ever and the centerpiece for connecting datasets across different domains.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our team at the HMC Hub Health, which is a part of the Division of Medical Image Computing (headed by Prof. Dr. Klaus Maier-Hein, https://www.dkfz.de/en/mic/index.php). The role will involve close cooperation with two other highly-innovative research divisions: Intelligent Medical Systems (headed by Prof. Dr. Lena Maier-Hein, https://www.dkfz.de/en/imsy/index.php) and Interactive Machine Learning (headed by Dr. Paul Jäger, https://www.dkfz.de/en/interaktives-maschinelles-lernen/index.php) as well as with researchers and metadata experts in other Helmholtz Centers.
- You work on a Helmholtz-wide AI moonshot project, which seeks to align the availability of imaging datasets with the actual needs of tackling the biggest scientific challenges.
- Metadata is the centerpiece for connecting datasets across domains. Together we want to answer the following scientific questions:
- How can we validate foundation models across different domains?
- How can we leverage metadata in the development of meaningful AI benchmarks?
- Which data is most useful in the evaluation of foundation models?
- You support and advise researchers in metadata management and in the implementation of FAIR principles.
- You work on standards, guidelines, and tools for metadata management in the project and across the Association.
- You actively and independently communicate and coordinate with a number of stakeholders on a national and international level, project partners, related consortia, platforms and networks and you help building interest groups and communities.
- Excellent framework conditions: state-of-the-art equipment and opportunities for international networking at the highest level
- Remuneration according to TV-L incl. occupational pension plan and capital-forming payments
- 30 days of vacation per year
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility of mobile work and part-time work
- Family-friendly working environment, e.g. parent-child room, advisory services caring for elderly relatives
- Sustainable travel to work: subsidized Germany job ticket
- Unleash your full potential: targeted offers for your personal development to further develop your talents
- Our Corporate Health Management Program offers a holistic approach to your well-being
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 10.10.2023
Dr. Marco Nolden
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-2325
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.