Position: PhD Student in 4D Genome and Gene Regulation
Department: Mechanisms of Genome Control
Code number: 2023-0344
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The junior research group "Mechanisms of Genome Control" headed by Dr. Angelika Feldmann is looking for a PhD student in the area of enhancer-dependent gene regulation. As a junior group, we have a range of exciting projects available with considerable preliminary data. You will have the opportunity to actively contribute to developing our research vision and benefit from extensive mentoring and a diverse, international research environment.
For more information about our research group, please visit our website https://www.dkfz.de/en/mechanismen-der-genomkontrolle/index.php.
The successful candidate will carry out an exciting project in the area of enhancer-driven gene regulation and the role of promoter contacts in this process. We will employ a range of advanced (epi-)genomic, genome engineering and computational techniques, established in our new lab, and the successful candidate will be encouraged to develop national and international collaborations. The candidate will be invited to actively contribute to developing the project’s direction so that it suits their passion.
- Execute a research project at the forefront of the field
- Planning and execution of experiments
- Perform genomic experiments
- Perform data analysis
- Present data in group meetings and at conferences
- Documentation of results in publications and in a PhD thesis
- Work independently and in a small team
- Master's degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, analytical chemistry or similar
- Hands-on experience in molecular biology techniques
- Experience in cell culture, experience with embryonic stem cells is an extra bonus
- Theoretical understanding of gene regulation/epigenetics
- Experience in bioinformatic analyses (e.g. R or similar) is a distinct advantage
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration
- Pro-active attitude
- Demonstrate analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent framework conditions: state-of-the-art equipment and opportunities for international networking at the highest level
- Access to international research networks
- Doctoral salary with the usual social benefits
- 30 days of vacation per year
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility of mobile work and part-time work
- Family-friendly working environment, e.g. parent-child room, advisory services
- Sustainable travel to work: subsidized Germany job ticket
- Unleash your full potential: targeted training and mentoring through the DKFZ International PhD Program and DKFZ Career Service
- Our Corporate Health Management Program offers a holistic range of services for your well-being
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 3 years with the possibility of prolongation.
Application Deadline: 04.10.2023
Dr. Angelika Feldmann
Phone +49 (0) 6221/42-1560
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.