Position: Bioinformatician for clinical and translational bioinformatics in pediatric oncology
Department: Omics IT and Data Management Core Facility
Code number: 2019-0213
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The „Hopp Children's Cancer Center at the NCT Heidelberg” (KiTZ) is a joint institution of the Heidelberg University Hospital and the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ). As a therapy and research center for oncologic and hematologic diseases in children and adolescents, the KiTZ is committed to scientifically exploring the biology of childhood cancer and to closely linking promising research approaches with patient care.
The Omics IT and Data Management Core Facility (ODCF) at DKFZ supports scientists in structuring and analyzing big amounts of (‘omics‘) data. Apart from that, the focus is on the development of software and data bases to manage these data. The majority of data is generated in a clinical and scientific context.
To improve, extend and harmonize our clinical analysis workflows we are looking for a bioinformatician/ computational biologist to grow our team.
The successful candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research team developing and applying a diverse range of state-of-the-art methodology to improve the diagnosis, treatment and early detection of childhood cancer. He/she will apply bioinformatics and statistical methods to analyze and interpret high-throughput ‘omics’ data, including whole genome and exome sequencing, as well as RNA-seq data. Our research has a strong translational focus and the successful candidate will interact closely with clinicians, physician scientists and experimental biologists, with a focus on performing data analyses (variant calling, gene fusion detection, among others)
- Improvement and development of (clinical) analysis workflows
- Establishment and standardization of new analysis methods for omics-data
- Participation in planning and structuring research projects including projects with clinical relevance
- Processing and quality control of data
- Development of new ideas and concepts of data management and data visualization
- Participation in scientific publications
- University degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, genetics, system biology or related fields
- Very good communication skills in English (German is a plus)
- Ability to work team and service oriented
- High degree of reliability, flexibility, initiative and endurance
- Basic knowledge of Unix-based operating systems
- Programming skills of scripting languages e.g. Python
- Ideally experience in the field of cancer biology and clinical application of bioinformatics methods
- Knowledge of SQL and data bases are advantageous
In addition to the ability to work independently and the willingness to quickly familiarize yourself with new and challenging topics, we attach great importance to teamwork.
The position is also suitable for interested professionals who already have sound knowledge of the relevant areas.
- Interessanten, vielseitigen Arbeitsplatz
- Internationales, attraktives Arbeitsumfeld
- Campus mit modernster State-of-the-art-Infrastruktur
- Vergütung nach TV-L mit den üblichen Sozialleistungen
- Möglichkeiten zur Teilzeitarbeit
- Flexible Arbeitszeiten
- Sehr gute Fort- und Weiterbildungsmöglichkeiten
Beginn: as soon as possible
Befristung: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Mr Dr. Ivo Buchhalter
Telefon +49 (0)6221/42-3566
Bitte beachten Sie, dass Bewerbungen per E-Mail nicht angenommen werden können.