Position: Bioinformatician / Computational Scientist
Department: Bioinformatics and Omics Data Analytics
Code number: 2019-0260
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The new Collaborative Research Centre “Understanding and Targeting Resistance in Glioblastoma” (UNITEGLIOBLASTOMA, SFB1389) is focused on decoding and combating resistance in glioblastoma, a serious and usually fatal brain tumor in children and adults. The goal of the research consortium is to understand the molecular mechanisms of resistance against current therapies and to develop new types of treatment. At the heart of the CRC is the “Core Collection”, for which uniform, integrated data sets from multiple omics analyses, preclinical models, imaging, and clinical data are being generated.
For more information, please see:
We invite applications for an enthusiastic and motivated Bioinformatician / Computational Scientist to join the UNITE core work package “Data integration, bioinformatics analysis, and data exploration for precision neurooncology”.
In UNITE, you will work with leading researchers in the field of neurooncology towards the goal of making glioblastoma treatable. You will develop and implement the structures to integrate and exploit the unique data resources generated in UNITE. Your main responsibility will be the development of a data integration and exploration platform to make the data accessible to the collaboration partners and to the community. You will work with clinical and experimental collaboration partners to collect requirements and gather feedback to support the development of the platform. You will integrate existing platform components into our environment and develop additional components and plugins to establish links between the structures. You will further develop modules to extend the platform to handle additional data types and develop plugins which implement new analyses.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, medical informatics, computer science or a related discipline; alternatively, master degree plus significant work experience
- Excellent programming skills (preferentially Python and R)
- Experience using SQL databases including database design
- Experience in deploying software to cluster and cloud environments
- Solid linux system administration skills, including shell scripting
- Good understanding of next-generation sequencing and other omics data and their integration with clinical data
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English, including experience in communicating across discipline boundaries
- Experience using container technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with big data analytics and frameworks (e.g. Spark)
You are a highly motivated team player who enjoys working in an interdisciplinary environment. You are keen to bring your computational expertise to world class cancer research and you are passionate about organizing, structuring and mining heterogeneous data. You are enthusiastic about code development and making software that can be used, and you can pursue your projects independently. The position will give you the opportunity to gain expertise in analysis and integration of multi-omics data, imaging data, experimental data and clinical data and to develop innovative computational approaches to exploit the potential of this unique data resource. The embedding in our highly collaborative CRC will allow you to build up a network of highly successful collaboration partners. You will have opportunities to supervise and mentor junior researchers during the appointment.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 20.08.2019
Dr. Matthias Schlesner
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-2720
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.