Position: System Administrator Linux, Storage, HPC
Department: High Throughput Sequencing Unit
Code number: 2019-0344
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
For the High Throughput Sequencing Unit, we are looking for a system administrator to take care of the departments IT infrastructure. The High Throughput Sequencing Unit is one of the largest sequencing centers in Europe and the only academic site in Germany with a fleet of Illumina HiSeq X-Ten and NovaSeq devices.
- Support our senior system administrator in maintaining and administering
- our virtualization cluster and virtual servers (Linux)
- petabyte-scale enterprise storage systems (Isilon)
- our high-performance compute cluster (150 compute nodes)
- Manage laboratory equipment, terminal servers and workstations running Windows
- Operation of services required for software development: Wiki, ticket system, versioning, web server, tomcat, python, databases
- Automate archiving, backup and access rights in collaboration with the software developers of our laboratory management system
- Development and adaptation of software solutions
- Study or vocational training in IT / computer sience
- Analytic and problem solving abilities / skills
- GNU/Linux knowledge, fluent in command line interface / bash
- Experience with and understanding of networking, file systems (XFS, ext4), NAS protocols (NFSv3, NFSv4, SMB)
- Knowledge of general best practices in IT: monitoring, centralized logging, configuration management
- Preferable to have experience with:
- Virtualization environments
- Enterprise Storage, HPC, Slurm, xCAT
- Data protection laws and data security
- Software development (SQL and Java or Python)
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 27.11.2019
Dr. Angela Schulz
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-3408
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.