Position: Computer Scientist / Bioinformatician IT- and Cloudtechnology de.NBI-Cloud
Department: Omics IT and Data Management Core Facility
Code number: 2019-0360
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) conducts innovative health research in the fields of computer science, genomics and personalized medicine. In this exciting research environment, highly complex analysis algorithms are developed and applied in Big Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning in national and international contexts.
As a service center for human genomics in the German Network for Bioinformatics Infrastructure (de.NBI), we process personal "big data". In order to make our cloud platform available to the life sciences, it is absolutely essential that this data is processed in accordance with legal requirements and requires a high level of protection.
As a computer scientist / bioinformatician in the field of cloud computing, you support us in the implementation of data protection and information security measures on the way to certification. This is done in close coordination with the overall cloud of the de.NBI network (https://www.denbi.de/cloud) and with our European partners, such as ELIXIR (https://www.elixir-europe.org/) and EOSC (https://ec.europa.eu/research/openscience/index.cfm?pg=open-science-cloud).
This position will be integrated into the cloud team at DFKZ. In close coordination with the de.NBI Cloud, with commercial providers and in particular with the HD-HuB Cloud locations at the DKFZ, at the University of Heidelberg and at the Berlin Institute for Health Research (BIH), concepts for information security, IT security and data protection are developed and implemented in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
In this technologically demanding environment for (medical) research, we are looking for a committed and motivated employee to expand our innovative team.
- Conducting user trainings in the field of cloud computing with special consideration of the GDPR
- Support in identifying and implementing the latest cloud technologies
- Development of a catalogue of requirements to improve data protection and information security
- Review and adaptation of technical and organizational measures (TOM)
- Support in carrying out auditing and assessments at the HD-HuB cloud locations
- Support with a feasibility study and planned ISO certification at HD-HuB cloud sites
- Operation of the cloud with a high level of data protection and information security with continuous optimizations
- Close cooperation with the de.NBI Cloud Centers
- Collaboration in leading international cloud projects
Computer scientist / bioinformatician (university) or applicant with a comparable degree with knowledge in the administration of complex systems and the development of cloud environments as well as with a strong interest in the development and implementation of concepts within the framework of information security and data protection.
For the position you should bring the following characteristics with you:
- Very good Unix/Linux knowledge
- At least good knowledge of software virtualization and the OpenStack environment
- Very good programming skills in at least one scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Bash)
- Further knowledge, at least in some of the following areas, is advantageous:
- High-level programming languages (C, Java)
- Knowledge of workflow management systems and standards (e.g. Galaxy, Nextflow, CWL)
- Knowledge of cloud technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Murano)
In addition to the ability to work independently and the willingness to quickly familiarize oneself with new and challenging subject areas, we place particular emphasis on the ability to work in a team.
The position may also be suitable for interested young professionals who already have some initial knowledge in the relevant fields.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest possible start date: ab 01.01.2020
Duration: The position is limited until 31.12.2021.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 10.12.2019
Dr. Ivo Buchhalter
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-3566
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.