Position: Scientist / Postdoctoral Researcher in Translational Genomics in part-time (50%)
Department: DKTK Essen - Translational Genomics in Solid Tumors
Code number: 2020-0273
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
Together with university partners at seven renowned partner sites, we have established the German Cancer Consortium (DKTK).
For the partner site of DKTK Essen the German Cancer Research Center is seeking a research scientist / postdoc. The position is located at the University Hospital Essen in the laboratory of Translational Genomics in Solid Tumors, led by Dr. Samuel Peña-Llopis.
We invite applications for highly enthusiastic and talented postdoctoral candidates to work in the field of translational oncology to identify new pathways in tumor progression that could be exploited therapeutically.
Our group focuses on renal cell carcinoma and uveal melanoma, two tumor types with high frequency of mutations in the epigenetic modifier and tumor suppressor gene BAP1. We are interested in further understanding the higher tumor aggressiveness and patient metastasis caused by BAP1 mutations to ultimately develop novel therapies. To tackle this challenge, a combination of bioinformatics and state-of-the-art technologies, such as molecular genomics, CRISPR/Cas9, patient-derived organoids and mouse models of metastasis will be used.
Your tasks include:
- Project management, implementation, analysis and publication of results in the area of translational cancer genomics and pathway discovery
- Supervision of students of the research group
- Participation in collaborations in a multidisciplinary setting
- Applicants must hold a PhD and M.Sc. degree in biochemistry, biomedicine, biotechnology, molecular biology, or a related discipline
- Extended expertise and experiences with basic and advanced cellular and molecular biology techniques are essential; expertise in miRNAs, big data analyses and bioinformatics are desirable but not required
- High motivation, strong commitment, reliability, attention to detail and capacity to assume independent responsibility to her/his projects
- Excellent written and oral command of English is essential
- Strong communication and teamwork skills are required
- An accredited animal handling course, such as Felasa B, is a great advantage, but not a requirement
- Enthusiasm for working in an international and multidisciplinary team and passion for making a difference through cancer research
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest possible start date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 1 year.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 03.12.2020
Dr. Samuel Pena-Llopis
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.