Position: DevOps Engineer / Cloud Specialist
Department: German Human Genome-Phenome Archive – GHGA
Code number: 2021-0165
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
A position as DevOps engineer / cloud specialist for the recently launched infrastructure initiative German Human Genome-Phenome Archive (GHGA, www.ghga.de) is available at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ). GHGA is part of the national program for research data infrastructures (NFDI). GHGA will act as a national node within the federated European Genome-Phenome Archive. This infrastructure will support genomics data hubs with software tools for secure data / metadata storage, interactive data portals with data visualization, and streamlined data deposition and acquisition solutions. The GHGA main office, which is coordinated by Prof. Oliver Stegle, is located at DKFZ in close coordination with the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
In order to develop the GHGA software platform into a state-of-the-art infrastructure for the secure exchange of genome data, we are looking for a DevOps engineer / cloud specialist.
We are looking for a team member with substantial experience and/or interest in developing, deploying, and maintaining the cloud platforms for GHGA infrastructure. The successful candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research, development, and data management team to develop and apply a diverse range of state-of-the-art technologies.
- Build a state-of-the-art infrastructure for deployment of services across multiple data centers
- Design and implement scalable solutions based on modern cloud frameworks and technologies such as Kubernetes, Service Meshes, and Event Meshes
- Build hybrid cloud solutions that span multiple private or public cloud providers and include edge computing scenarios
- Implementing system security measures and performing penetration testing
- Supporting developers in an agile setting to productionalize their software and make it ready for continuous deployment
- Supporting system administrators of participating academic institutions in migrating from classical HPC environments (Slurm, LSF) to cloud-based settings
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in computer science or similar technical background
- Extensive experience in building and deploying docker containers
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code frameworks such as Ansible or TerraForm
- Experience in describing container relations as code using, e.g. helm charts or docker compose
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines such as GitHub Actions
- Experience and/or strong interest in working with Kubernetes Clusters
- First hand experience with private OpenStack-based clouds, public providers such as AWS, Azure, and GCS, familiarity with GitOps services like Argo CD, Flux CD, or Jenkins X is a plus
- Enjoy working in an interdisciplinary team and talking to software developers, sysadmins, as well as domain experts
- Enjoy working with modern technologies and staying up to date with new tech trends
The ideal applicant should have demonstrated the ability to work independently and creatively. The candidate should have excellent communications skills and be able to articulate clearly the technical needs, set clear goals and work within an interdisciplinary setting, communicating with other partners.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 01.07.2021
Dr. Koray Kirli
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-3466
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.