Position: Postdoctoral Position in Cancer Drug Discovery
Department: Cancer Drug Development
Code number: 2021-0261
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
Our research interest is the validation of drug targets via genetical or chemical means. We do this in a process which spans from knock down/out of specific targets in multiple cell lines, assay development for HTS and secondary screens, hit discovery and subsequent medchem to improve the properties of inhibitors to the proof of concept in animal models or patient material. We are running a portfolio of parallel projects at various stages of the discovery process and seek to hire a highly motivated and experienced researcher with a strong interest in pharmaceutical research. The main tasks will be to perform and/or supervise knock down or drug testing in a panel of cell lines, quantifying phenotypic effects in multi-parameter parallel assays and optimize treatment schemas for drug testing in mouse models. We perform a portfolio of methods and assays typical for pharmaceutical research and expect the successful candidate to develop additional read outs, especially in the area of high content phenotypic analysis. Our projects are highly interdisciplinary in that project planning, data analysis and communication will require constant exchange with our chemistry group, external collaborators and service providers.
We are looking for a top-level PhD with a strong background in molecular cell biology. The successful candidate is highly motivated, ambitious, hard-working, able to work independently and can manage and supervise multiple projects. Skills in phenotypic analysis of drug effects are desirable. The ambitious candidate should be driven to develop a research project using cutting-edge technologies and fullfill the following requirements:
- Demonstrated scientific productivity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Reliable team player with very good organization skills
- Functional genomics data generation and analysis skills (R and friends)
- Hands-on CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing experience
- Extensive cell culture practice
- Certified as Appointed Project Manager (GenTG§15)
- Experienced in performing tumor experiments in mouse models (incl. FELASA B)
Applications should include a cover letter and a CV with a complete list of publications as well as contact details of 2 references.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest possible start date: 01.11.2021
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 23.09.2021
Dr. Peter Nikolas Gunkel
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-3419
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.