Position: Postdoctoral Fellow in Immunology
Department: T Cell Metabolism
Code number: 2021-0292
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The new Helmholtz Institute HI-TRON is a collaboration of the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) with the Research Institute for Translational Oncology at the University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (TRON gGmbH), the University Medical Center Mainz and the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. The goal of the partnership is to develop effective immunotherapies and to identify novel biomarkers for assessing the effectiveness of treatment.
The research goal of the Division of T Cell Metabolism – which is located at HI-TRON Mainz – is to develop new immunotherapies to treat cancer and other diseases. Our group uses tumor models (implantation models and GEMMs), infection models and autoimmune models combined with chemical analysis such as mass spectrometry analysis to identify new immune checkpoint molecules (Wu et al Immunity 2019; Wu et al Science Advances 2020; Xu et al Immunity 2021). The details of the research projects will be discussed during the interview.
As a postdoc in the lab of Dr. Cui in Mainz you will be performing ambitious projects aimed at scientific questions in the field of T cell metabolism. The tasks include cell culture, biochemical as well as functional genomic screens and demanding analysis. All projects involve work with animals.
The major goals are outlined below:
- Performing experiments (such as but not limited to flow cytometry analysis, mouse-related experimental work and molecular biological experiments)
- Assisting the group leader (Dr. Guoliang Cui) to put together experimental results, graphs, and manuscript / grant application drafts as well as writing application for animal experiments and mouse work-related paperwork in German
- Training new lab members
We are looking for a motivated, responsible and intelligent basic scientist who holds a master's degree (or comparable) as well as a PhD in microbiology, biology, immunology or other basic science disciplines.
The successful candidate should have
- a solid background in immunology,
- at least one first-author publication,
- experiences in doing mouse experiments (such as i.p., s.c., i.v. injections, viral infections, EAE model, tumor implantation, and tumor size measurements),
- experiences in doing multiple-color flow cytometry analysis.
Skills to perform bioinformatics analysis of omics data are preferred but not required.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest possible start date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 3 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 01.10.2021
Dr. Guoliang Cui
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-1370
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.