Position: Postdoctoral Position for Computational Biologist in Translational Genomics
Department: Precision Sarcoma Research
Code number: 2021-0314
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The Precision Sarcoma Research group within the research program Functional and Structural Genomics at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) is seeking a postdoctoral scientist in computational biology to work on translational research projects involving multi-level characterization of bone and soft-tissue sarcoma for precision cancer medicine.
Sarcomas are a large and heterogeneous group of aggressive tumors with significant genetic and histologic diversity, variable clinical course, and very few treatment options, thereby posing an urgent need to develop more effective, innovative and well-tolerated therapies. The research group of Dr. Priya Chudasama aims to address this challenge by systematic investigation of the genomic, epi-genomic, transcriptomic and immunologic landscapes of a large cohort of prospectively collected and clinically annotated primary human sarcoma specimens that have been characterized by state-of-the-art molecular profiling methods (whole genome sequencing, RNA sequencing, EPIC array). On-going projects include investigating 1) role of perturbed telomere maintenance mechanisms and their therapeutic targeting in tumors with genomic instability and 2) contribution of cancer-cell intrinsic mechanisms on shaping tumor immune microenvironment and associated immunotherapeutic targets.
The qualified candidate will spear-head the analysis and integration of data generated from bulk next-generation sequencing, single-cell profiling, multi-parametric imaging and long-read sequencing followed by visualization and interpretation to gain insights into critical disease driving processes in sarcoma, as well as inform experimental study design for potential functional validation in close collaboration with team of molecular biologists.
- A PhD or equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, biochemistry, biotechnology or related field
- Expertise in applying / developing computational biology analysis pipelines and proficiency in the programming languages Python and/or R
- Profound knowledge of cancer biology, motivation to drive the projects by own initiative and creativity
- Track record of working with cancer genomics datasets, single-cell technologies, multi-paramteric imaging considered a plus
- Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative environment and with proactive work attitude and team spirit
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English, enthusiam to communicate scientific findings in meetings and conferences
Applications must include a CV, cover letter, certificates, expected availability date, a complete list of publications and 2-3 reference letters.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest possible start date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 23.10.2021
Dr. Priya Chudasama
Phone +49 6221 42 1600
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.