Position: Technical Coordinator Genome Data Infrastructure
Department: Computational Genomics and Systems Genetics
Code number: 2021-0368
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The German Cancer Research Center is seeking a technical coordinator to work on the recently launched pilot project for German Genome Initiative “genomDE”.
As part of the German Genome Initiative “genomDE”, the German Ministry of Health has recently launched a pilot project to establish the technical, legal and scientific concept for the future of genome medicine in Germany. As part of this project, DKFZ, together with leading biomedical partners across Germany, will develop technical concepts for genomDE and implement infrastructure elements as technology pilots This activity will be closely connected to and coordinated with the ongoing development of the German Human Genome-Phenome Archive (GHGA), which is coordinated at DKFZ as part of the national program for research data infrastructures (NFDI). The genomDE initiative aims to establish a framework for the inclusion and medical interpretation of quality-controlled genome sequencing data in routine diagnostics to advance treatment options in cancer and rare genetic diseases. In parallel, the data generated will be collected in a secure environment to enable genome research while ensuring highest standards of data protection for the sensitive genomic data.
At the national level, the activities are embedded in leading clinical networks such as e.g. the National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT), the Centers for Personalized Medicine (ZPM) as well as the Medical Informatics Initiative. The project will also be closely connected to and interact with international initiatives and networks, including the Beyond 1 Million Genomes (B1MG) project, the European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA) and the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH). The position will be embedded in the GHGA main office at DKFZ, which is coordinated by Prof. Dr. Oliver Stegle (Division of Computational Genomics and Systems Genetics) and close interactions with Prof. Dr. Stefan Fröhling and his team at the National Center for Tumor Diseases Heidelberg are envisioned.
For the development of the genomDE data infrastructure architecture, as well as for ensuring connectivity with GHGA and other international initiatives, we are looking to appoint an experienced technical coordinator. This will be a central position for coordination between GHGA and other technical infrastructures and parties involved in genomDE. The coordinator will develop novel technical concepts and coordinate the software development.
- Development of technical concepts for genomDE together with other partners
- Coordination and adjustment of technical concepts between all involved parties
- Coordination of the interaction of technical working groups within genomDE and GHGA
- Coordination of the development of pilots for the connection between genomDE and the GHGA core software architecture
- Contribute to the development (back-end / front-end) of pilot software
- Contribution and development of IT security concepts for the operation of data infrastructures for genomic data
- Participation in international development networks of the federated EGA architecture
- Design and specification of features, aligned with international standards
- Collaboration with local and international developers
We offer you a senior position at the interface between leading initiatives in biomedical data science with a significant degree of independence and a strong perspective for a successful future career path.
- Be involved in the shaping of innovative IT infrastructures enabling innovative personal medicine approaches in Germany
- Get exposed to a plethora of fields ranging from AI-guided clinical decision making to modern web development technologies
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of experts bringing state-of-the-art biomedical research closer to clinics and patients
- Take part in national and international organizations such as genomDE, the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH), the European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA) and ELIXIR shaping future of genomics across borders
- Widen your expertise with extensive possibilities of training programs, seminars and conferences
- PhD in computer science, medical informatics, bioinformatics, computational biology or similar background with a focus on bioinformatics or data science
- Alternatively, an MSc or equivalent qualification with complementary years of relevant experience in IT environments
- Extensive experience in IT and bioinformatics with relevant experience in the development, coordination and operation of data infrastructures, software development or cloud computing
- Experience in the operation of data infrastructures in an academic or industrial setting, ideally in a cloud environment
- Hands-on experience with workflow development and genomics data analysis
- Solid knowledge of IT security principles and expertise in the adaption of IT systems for GDPR compliance is a prerequisite
- Excellent project management skills proven in an academic or industrial setting are a prerequisite
- Excellent communication skills in English and German are necessary
The ideal applicant should have demonstrated the ability to work independently and creatively. The candidate should have excellent communications skills and be able to articulate the technical needs precisely, set clear goals and work within an interdisciplinary setting, while communicating with other external partners.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 09.12.2021
Dr. Oliver Stegle
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-3598
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.