Position: Program Manager within the Cancer Research Academy
Department: International Postdoc Program / International Clinician Scientist Program
Code number: 2021-0369
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
Its Cancer Research Academy organizes advanced training programs at the postgraduate level. The Program Manager will coordinate the established DKFZ International Postdoc Program and the DKFZ International Clinician Scientist Program.
The DKFZ International Postdoc Program ensures the recruitment of excellent international postdocs to the center and offers access to interdisciplinary training and career support, thereby promoting the professional development of all postdoctoral fellows at the DKFZ and associated institutions.
The DKFZ International Clinician Scientist Program fosters innovative translational research by strengthening the research profile of clinician scientists. Its fellows are supported through dedicated fellowships encompassing protected time for research, tailored training and intersectoral mentoring.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the two post-graduate training and fellowship programs. Her/his tasks will include:
- Planning and execution of the annual fellowship selection rounds
- Driving structured onboarding processes for postdocs / clinician scientists into the programs
- Monitoring of fellows’ progress through regular meetings with fellows, PIs and mentors
- Organization of target group-specific networking events with internal and external partners and support of the DKFZ network of postdoctoral researchers
- Development of DKFZ international marketing resources to ensure high international visibility of both programs
- Collaborating and establinging synergies with other training programs of the Cancer Research Academy
- Representation of the programs at international career fairs and conferences
- Writing funding applications at the national and European level
- Continuous monitoring and improvement of fellow recruitment processes and training needs
- Collaboration with (inter-)national partners to foster inter-institutional exchange and training in cancer research
The applicant should be highly motivated and efficient, should have a strong interest in postgraduate education, and must hold a Ph.D./M.D. in biology, medicine or an equivalent degree. The position requires outstanding organizational capabilities, excellent English and German communication and writing skills as well as postdoctoral experience of at least one year. Experience in (post)graduate education or science management, including grant writing, is an advantage, as is experience of working in an international environment. Applicants should also be available to travel internationally.
The center has strong interactions with Heidelberg University and other research institutions in the Rhine-Neckar area, but also numerous national and international collaboration partners in academia, the clinic and industry. We offer an international and dynamic work environment, access to a broad range of continuing education courses and the possibility to contribute to an education program at the frontier of cancer research. The PhD and Postdoc Programs are amongst the largest in Europe entirely dedicated to cutting-edge cancer research.
This position may also serve as an excellent starting point for a career in science management. Salary is according to TV-L depending on qualification and experience.
Applications including a cover letter with statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and contact information of referees as PDF must be submitted by 17 December 2021 using our online application portal (www.dkfz.de/jobs).
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 17.12.2021
Dr. Philipp Gebhardt
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-1668
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.