Position: Scientific Software Developer
Department: Omics IT and Data Management Core Facility
Code number: 2021-0402
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) “Understanding and Targeting Resistance in Glioblastoma” (UNITE GLIOBLASTOMA, SFB1389; see https://www.unite-glioblastoma.de/) is focused on decoding and combating resistance in glioblastoma, a serious and usually fatal brain tumor in children and adults. The goal of the research consortium is to understand the molecular mechanisms of resistance against current therapies and to develop new types of treatment. At the heart of the CRC is the “Core Collection”, for which uniform, integrated data sets from multiple omics analyses, preclinical models, imaging, and clinical data are being generated.
We invite applications for an enthusiastic and motivated scientific software developer to join the UNITE core work package “Data integration, bioinformatics analysis, and data exploration for precision neurooncology”.
In UNITE, you will work with leading researchers in the field of neurooncology towards the goal of making glioblastoma treatable.
Your role is to develop a microservices-based web portal integrating different types of biomedical data. The portal enables researchers and clinicians to search the data based on complex criteria and perform various analyses, visualizations and flexible comparisons of search results.
You are a highly motivated, organized (documentation and communication are important aspects of the job), and open-minded team player with a passion for code development and a general interest in the analysis of biomedical data. You are looking forward to interdisciplinary work and to take on new challenges. The position will give you the opportunity to gain expertise in the analysis and integration of various omics and other data types and to develop software to exploit the potential of these data. The embedding in our highly collaborative CRC will allow you to build up a network of highly successful collaboration partners. You will have opportunities to supervise and mentor junior researchers during the appointment.
- Appropriate university degree (master degree plus work experience or PhD) in scientific programming, computer science, bioinformatics or a related subject
- In-depth knowledge of quality-centric software engineering and development
- Experience in python development and the use of collaborative tools (Git)
- Working knowledge of English
- Ability to work independently and a pro-active work style
- Experience with (interactive) data visualization (e.g. D3.Js, Plotly, ggplot, WebGL/Canvas)
- Experience with big data analytics and frameworks (e.g. Spark)
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL
- Experience with large-scale biomedical data
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited until 30.06.2023.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 24.01.2022
Dr. Ivo Buchhalter
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-3566
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.