Position: Metadata Scientist
Department: Medical Image Computing
Code number: 2021-0409
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
Modern technological methods such as artificial intelligence and machine learning enable data-based medical research. In translational medicine, this enables ever more precise individual treatments. Without the necessary context information (metadata), however, much research data cannot be found, interpreted or reused. The Helmholtz Association has recognized metadata as a necessity of high-quality research data and promotes the development and establishment of new concepts and technologies through the Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration Platform (HMC). The aim of HMC is to enrich complex and heterogeneous research data in the various phases of their creation with metadata in order to maintain and improve their value for research in this way. Six hubs represent the different research areas of the institutes within the Helmholtz Society. The Health Hub determines and represents the needs and interests of the health domain and ensures that the specific needs of this specialist discipline are taken into account within HMC. It is anchored in the Division of Medical Image Computing (MIC;https://www.dkfz.de/en/mic/index.php;https://twitter.com/mic_dkfz) at DKFZ, which pioneers research in machine learning and information processing, with the particular aim of improving cancer patient care by systematic image data analytics.
Working in the highly dynamic and exciting area between AI, medical research, cloud technologies and state-of-the-art software development, we are seeking another motivated metadata expert, computer scientist or software engineer in full-time to join our team as soon as possible. As a member of HMC Hub Health, you investigate and research opportunities to support the metadata management of domain-specific, and often interdisciplinary and international projects.
Your tasks are the following:
- Support and advice for researchers in the field of health in metadata management
- Development of standards and guidelines for metadata management
- Development of domain-specific vocabularies, ontologies and metadata schemes
- Coordination with national and international consortia and platforms
- Implementation of the FAIR principles in HMC projects
- Preparation of position papers and publications
- Completed university degree (Master or equivalent) in computer science, data science, or comparable expertise
- Very good programming skills and experience in analyzing complex data structures
- Practical experience in data / research data management, especially in handling medical and / or health-related data
- Knowledge and experience in the area of linked (open) data and semantic web technologies
- Experience with international metadata standards
- Secure and proactive communication with stakeholders and network partners in both German and English
- Highly motivated, responsible and structured way of working
- Enthusiasm for a topical subject with great scientific relevance
- Willingness to travel on business
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application Deadline: 27.01.2021
Dr. Marco Nolden
Phone +49 (0)6221/42-2325
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.